Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yoganista: Day 2-Where's my freaking gold star?!

As you can see from my two posts in one day, I'm behind. I sort of feel like I started off behind. Sadly, the feelings about my yoga blog are isomorphic to the feelings I have about my dissertation. (Couldn't I just be given a doctorate for knowing and corretly using the term isomorphic? Pretty please :0) I'm already behind, so what's the point? Might as well give up now. That and it takes me a disgusting amount of time to actually complete my blogs b/c my inner perfectionist comes out wielding her mighty mallet. Still working on lesson #1: Being ok with just being.

I was not so chipper getting up for class on the second day. In all honesty, it's not that early, but I'm a late night person and sleep in whenever I'm given the chance. I made it to class on time (early is on time in yogadom, so you can get your props and settle in). We started out focusing on our breathing. We practiced expanding our breaths starting from our stomach up through our ribcage. I got a little dizzy from all that deep breathing, but it was still pretty calming.

We got into our first position: child's pose. This is supposed to be the easiest position and very comfortable. Not so much for moi. I went home after day 1 and tried to practice, but couldn't really figure out how to get comfortable and that was super frustrating for me. Turns out that going into it on day 2 it felt much better, I think partially because I didn't think about it too much (Not to beat a dead horse, but seeing a theme much?).

Today involved more lecture and we spent the majority of our time learning "downward facing dog". We tried different variations of long dog and short dog and focused on how our bodies actually felt in each position.

The feedback our teacher gave us while in the pose was, "ok, not bad". Then she went on to explain that it was probably the highest form of praise we would get from her because she wasn't a big praiser. Other students who had taken classes from her confirmed this. That's when I realized how much I look for praise/constructive criticism to let me know how I'm doing in everything. When she wasn't saying anything to us, I was assuming that I was doing something wrong. Man! This yoga thing is a lot of work. I haven't even worked up a sweat in class yet, but feel like all this insight is draining! I've heard people suggest yoga to therapy clients as a way to help them calm down and center and never totally bought it before now. I'm realizing that there is power in silence.

Take Home Lesson #2: I am my own gold star.

SBD: 0
L&P: 0

1 comment:

  1. You’ll have to let us know if all this yoga-ing actually helps take real stress out of your life...if so, I may have to sign up for a class myself.

    ReplyDelete