Sunday, January 17, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Triple-Citrus Cupcakes

Okay, here goes nothing.

I would consider this recipe great for winter, when citrus fruit is at its peak. If you are lucky, like some of the other authors of this blog, you may get to harvest citrus fruit yourself. If you are like me, however, you may find yourself running to Wal-Mart to pick out lemons, limes, and oranges for these cupcakes, and somehow managing to get the least juicy limes ever grown. My kitchen now smells of limes, which makes me wish I could make Brazilian lemonade, but since it took all four of the limes I bought to make enough juice for the citrus glaze, that will have to wait for another day.

I'm still messing around with this group blogging thing, so someone will have to tell me if me changing the setting on my photos has affected everyone's photo postings. I did not mean for
them to be small, or right justified, but it took me so long to import them that I was not about to do it all over again.

I made these for Mix 'n Munch. I have to say that one of the fun things about this project is that, for better or worse, everyone knows me as the Cupcake Girl. I guess there are worse things to be known for, so I kind of like it. As I was getting ready to take the remaining cupcakes home, one of the guys in my ward stopped me and gave me a half hug, and asked if he could have a cupcake. Apparently, this is what I have to do to get physical affection from men. I think I can live with that.

Here is a link to Martha's page with the recipe. I will warn you now that it calls for an entire pound of butter and 9 eggs. Doesn't it make your heart stop just thinking about it? Martha suggests making the citrus glaze using lime juice. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, she also suggests making three different glazes, using the three different citrus fruits. I am not that ambitious.

I also do not own a microplane zester. Instead, I have one of these babies (right), which is not the same. If I'd been thinking, I would have used this recipe as an excuse to get a microplane
zester. Now, I'm not sure if I can justify buying one, seeing as how I have already made the one recipe that would have necessitated a zester without one.




Here's what the finished product looks like. They are fairly dense, more like a muffin than a cupcake, but the tart/sweet glaze makes a great finisher, and they are fairly simple to make, if you can get past the zesting and the juicing.

1 comment:

  1. You totally should have bought the microplane. It makes beautiful, fine zest without getting any of the pith. I bet you got pith with your zester.

    ReplyDelete