Sunday, January 24, 2010

Soupa' Slow: Garlic Chicken with Artichokes

I LOVE artichokes, so I felt it worth the three (count them three) grocery stores I had to try to find frozen artichoke hearts. When I finally found them, they came in a little box-like thing, not a bag like most frozen vegetables. Just in case you are ever searching for frozen artichoke hearts.

This was a really easy recipe, although you do have to do some chopping and mincing. Since I was planning on throwing this together Sunday morning before 9 am meetings, I did that part the night before. The strangest ingredient, aside from the frozen artichokes, was tapioca. I'm not even sure what the tapioca did. You could probably make this without it, and it would be fine. And honestly, I actually did pretty much stick to the recipe this time.

Here is the recipe, as found in Better Homes and Gardens Red Checker Cookbook (found on page 239)...

Garlic Chicken with Artichokes
Twelve cloves of garlic may sound like a lot, but garlic's flavor mellows as it slowly cooks. (*I found this to be true*)

Low Fat

Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 6 to 7 hours Makes: 6 servings

12 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1 tablespoon cooking oil or olive oil
1 8- or 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts
1 red sweet pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup chicken broth (*I used half a cup of water and one bullion cube*)
1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed (*I didn't crush it*)
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel (*I used lime*)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, halves or thighs
4 cups hot cooked brown rice (*I made white rice...I was out of brown*)

1. In a small skillet cook garlic and onion in hot oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until tender. In a 3 1/2 or 4- quart crockery cooker combine the garlic mixture, frozen artichoke hearts, sweet pepper, chicken broth, tapioca, rosemary, lemon peel, and black pepper. Add chicken; spoon some of the garlic mixture over chicken.
2. Cover and cook on lo-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Serve with rice.

As is happens, by the time this morning rolled around, I had completely forgotten that I needed to put everything into my slow cooker to get dinner going before church, due to a baby who was sick and vomiting at four am. She woke up happy and health at 7:30, so when I decided that we were going to church around 8, I had half an hour to get both of us ready before we had to leave. I remembered dinner only when I opened the fridge to get milk for my cereal and was overpowered by the smell of garlic that I had minced the night before. I literally threw everything together in five minutes. The chicken was still frozen when I put it in, but it turned out just fine, so I might do that every time. this is the only picture I got...sorry I didn't take a delicious looking picture of it over rice on the serving plate like Maria did with her pasta...maybe next time


As for the results, we gave it a 7.5 (on a scale of 1-10). Honestly, the chicken and the artichoke hearts were really good, but I think the rosemary was a little strong. If I make it again, I'll half the rosemary, and unless you are a rosemary fanatic, I would suggest you do the same. Also, as mentioned before, I have no idea why I needed the tapioca. I thought it maybe would help thicken the "sauce", but it wasn't at all thick...it was really like a clear liquid, in fact. So now, I have an entire box (minus a tablespoon) of tapioca that I don't know what to do with. Any ideas? (Not a huge fan of the pudding...)

I did LOVE that dinner made itself, especially once I got my rice cooker going. And that, my friends, is the beauty of the slow cooker!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, sounds good. I think I would definitely use less rosemary though. I like it, but I know it can be overpowering if you use too much. Any other suggestions to make this a 10?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about how the chicken turned out. I hate dry chicken, but I would imagine that slow-cooking it would keep it pretty moist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, the chicken was really tender and good. slow cooking definitely helped it out (and this came from the same bag of chicken that had turned out kind of tough when I cooked it stove top)

    ReplyDelete