Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Emasculated Male bakes "Key Lime Cake"


Not everything we do in this life turns out the way we initially envision. Sometimes the failure comes early, before all the practice and hard work. And so we pick ourselves up and press on in search of a more favorable outcome, but to no avail. This basically sums up my experience with "Key lime cake."

While the picture is certainly attractive and tempting, this cake in reality, was not. (I took this picture. This is my cake) I'm slightly more than positive that this cake exists solely because someone thought, "I like key lime pie, but this is a cake book. I'll make a key lime cake."

I will admit that given the amount of freshly squeezed lime juice in this cake I was very excited for the finished product. As I juiced the key limes and measured out the correct amounts of sugar to make the lime glaze my taste buds were doing a veritable jig of anticipation. But it was all for naught. The cake was dry and crumbly. The parts that soaked up the lime glaze were a little better but bordered on being soggy when compared with the rest. Darn.

So I decided it was my technique and therefore the cake would improve upon my second attempt. Not so. I'll spare all the depressing details, because the second cake turned out no different. If this had been my very first cake-baking experience, I would have been convinced I did not have it in me to bake a decent cake. But after the "man catcher" I knew I had "IT." So I finally concluded this cake just plain sucks. I'll move on. Next week will be better.

2 comments:

  1. That is very disappointing. It's like when a movie gets a lot of build-up, and then you go to see it and it's incredibly disappointing. Or, it's like when you spend months feeding and raising a pig, and then, when the pig is finally butchered, the butcher salts the meat too much. Or, it's like making an origami pinata, and realizing that, by the time the pinata is destroyed, the candy inside is also destroyed. I think you should add the key lime cake incident to the list of disappointing incidents. However, it does look very pretty. You are a good food photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer!! Lime cake does sound good - too bad it was a disappointment. I recently made an orange cake which tasted good, but not much like orange. Hmmm, maybe I'll stick with chocolate from now on.

    ReplyDelete