Monday, January 18, 2010

The Emasculated Male



I don't cook, bake or otherwise prepare food beyond scooping leftovers out of some Tupperware and reheating them in the microwave. And my wife will attest to the fact that sometimes my abilities fall short of even these rudimentary actions.

However, I happen to be the highly suggestible type. When I heard of a new cookbook on NPR, I just had to have it. Well, actually, I initially thought that Melanee just had to have it. But then I realized that purchasing a cookbook for Melanee for Christmas would be the equivalent of her buying me a new filter for our furnace. It's something I can definitely use. However, I would be offended and I'm sure it wouldn't be the exact one I would have chosen. We're both very particular people.

But then I thought, "Hey, why can't I get the book and try my hand?" So I requested 'All Cakes Considered' from the library and waited with eager anticipation for it to come in. I couldn't wait! I just knew that this endeavor would in no way reflect poorly on my "man" status. Guys bake, right? The book arrived and I excitedly sat down to pore over the first recipe. My eyes immediately focused on the name of the first cake, "The Man Catcher." My heart missed a slight beat. "Nah, that must mean this cake is the one that convinces men they need to take up baking because it's so awesome!" Nope, the description explicitly stated this is the cake for women to make to then catch a man. It's worse than I ever feared!! But no, it got worse. Within a couple weeks I literally found myself waltzing into work with a large, red cake saver in hand. (More on that in a soon-to-arrive post)

The point is this. After making a few of these cakes, I've discovered that not only do I enjoy it, but I'm pretty darn good at it. These cakes are delectable. And those who sample them are not shy about reinforcing my opinion.

Long story short, there are approximately 50 recipes in this book. I'll do one a week for a year. By 2011, you'll be begging me to cater your wedding/anniversary/evening of cake or whatever. And don't think I won't do it, 'cause I will.

And yes, as I stated earlier, Jason Alexander will be portraying me.

5 comments:

  1. That's an amazing picture (the one on the right, I mean). It's a good thing your super-awesome sister-in-law got you the book, to keep your library overdue fines down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, and it makes me REALLY wish that we lived a little closer by...

    ReplyDelete
  3. George, I would like you to first make me this man catcher cake. If it truly works (and I have a few in mind that I will try it out on) then you have the job of catering my wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If "real men" don't bake delicious cakes, I don't want to be married to a "real man." And I think you have a deep enough voice and enough chest hair to balance out a cake tote anyway. Keep 'em coming, Honey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a deal Jaime! And yes, I definitely do need to give credit to my awesome sister-in-law. After getting the book from the libary I decided it was too cool to not own. And Megan got it for me for Christmas. Thanks Megan!

    Chest hair? Really? I'm slightly embarrassed...

    ReplyDelete