Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Shape Shifter: Fireman 5K


It has been a while since my last post, which might make one think that I have fallen off the wagon again...but this is not so. I have continued training for a 5K and am currently on week 7 of a nine week training plan! My mileage is a little over two miles now...and will be determined as soon as I get my new little toy calibrated. My running partner surprised me with a Nike+. It is this little device that fits in the sole of my Nike running shoes that monitors how far I have fun as well as how many calories I have burned. I used it for the first time last night and it was great to be able to see my progress on my I-pod Nano.

Concerning actual shape shifting...I am still working on that. My running partner and I also joined Weight Watchers. We have been going for about five weeks. I am in the 10+ pounds lost bracket...we will see how that might change on Friday. It has made monitoring what I eat a lot easier...less guess work. I don’t know how familiar anyone is with different body types. There is the ectomorph who is naturally skinny and petite---so not me, the endomorph---naturally a little cushioned, and the mesomorph—can get cushiony if not working out, but builds muscle quickly. I fall into the mesomorph category, which is why I think running will be great for me. I hired a personal trainer once and did a lot of weight lifting...I tend to bulk up. Being as how I don’t plan on perusing a job as a line backer...I choose running.

My mother took my body measurements in February and she is going to remeasure me this weekend when I go home. I will be curious to see what king of physical changes have taken place in the last three months. It is hard for me to tell...I see myself everyday and feel that I look the same.

Running has helped me to work out some stress and anxiety as of late. If for no other reason, I will keep running just for that benefit. Let’s just say that nothing is definite in my life right now, other than the fact that it is all changing. Some of those changes I have created for myself, and others are just a part of life. Regardless of their origin, I tend to have a hard time with change.

I have signed up for the Fireman’s 5K in Fort Worth over Memorial Weekend. I am getting excited!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I have to get this off my chest:

    When I saw you on Monday, I thought, she looks like she's lost weight. But I always feel weird bringing that up to people because a) I don't want people to think I thought they had weight to lose, and b) sometimes I'm not that observant, so, if I turn out to be wrong, I don't want them to be upset. But I did think you looked like you had lost weight. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...thanks Megan! I will put it out there...I have weight to lose! That has totally made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete