Monday, May 3, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Maple-Sweetened Carrot Cupcakes


Once again, I make a recipe that I do not feel is significantly different from other Martha recipes.

It was billed as a "healthy recipe." The cake and the frosting are sweetened with maple syrup.

Despite the painstaking piping of the frosting, these are actually a very rustic cupcake. Prior to frosting, some of them had cooked carrot shreds sticking out of them.

I will be extremely transparent: I do not feel these are as good as the carrot cupcakes I made when I stayed with Shane and Maria back in September. It may be because, rather than shredding the carrots by hand, I bought matchstick carrots, which were not as fine, and cooked up somewhat conspicuously in the cupcakes. It may be because the cream cheese frosting was not sweet enough, due to it being a healthy recipe.

Or it may be molasses, of which I am not a huge fan.

However, they passed the inspection of my friend Amanda, of the Five Harringtons. This was not an easy test, considering that she has had an aversion to all things maple due the combination of morning sickness and some maple-flavored bacon.

Maple-sweetened Carrot Cupcakes

2 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour (no, I did not buy unbleached flour)
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamong
1 c. pure maple syrup, preferably grade B (I'm sure it makes a difference to use grade B, but grade B is REALLY expensive, so I used grade A).
1/3 c. unsulfured molasses
1 c. safflower or canola oil (I used canola oil)
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
5 large egg yolks
2 c. peeled, grated carrots (4-5 medium)

Maple Cream-Cheese Frosting

Candied Carrot Chips (I didn't make these because they sounded too complicated for something I was convinced was going to be gross).

Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin tins (standard or mini). In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together maple syrup, molasses, oil, vinegar, and egg yolks until smooth. Add to flour mixture, and whisk until combined. Stir in carrots.

Fill lined cups about 3/4 full. Bake until dark golden brown, 10-12 minutes for mini, about 18 minutes for standard.

To finish, fit a pastry bag with a piping tip (I used a Wilton 12) and fill with cream cheese frosting. Pipe dots of frosting all over the cupcakes to cover.

Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

1 lb. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. pure maple syrup, preferably grade B

With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add maple syrup, and beat until combined. Use immediately, or refrigerate up to three days.

Smile because you have just made something healthy. Kind of.

No comments:

Post a Comment