Sunday, May 9, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Pound Cakes

I was supposed to top these pound cakes with fresh flowers. I did not.

What I did I can only describe here, as I failed to get pictures. I baked these into an equal number of mini cupcakes and standard. I frosted them with vanilla-bean Swiss meringue buttercream. Then, I stuck a sucker stick in the top of all of the standard cupcakes, and stuck the mini cupcake on top of the sucker stick. I decorated them with pink M&Ms and piped leaves around the edges, creating, in effect, cupcake topiaries.

It was an idea I got from Sister Curtis, a senior missionary serving in my ward. I thought it was perfect for Mother's Day.

3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 lb. (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
9 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 325F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour and salt.

Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add beaten eggs in four batches, beating until each is incorporated. Add flour in four batches, beating until each is incorporated.

Divide batter evenly, bake about 20 minutes for standard, about 15 for mini.

No comments:

Post a Comment