Sunday, May 30, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Coconut Pecan Cupcakes


I think I am losing my touch.

When I started the cupcake project, I realized that it was going to collide with my dissertation, possible job interviews, and whatever other unexpected things life had in store for me.

What I didn't count on was wanting to abandon the project because the pieces of my life started to fall into place. I started this project because I was worried that the pieces of my life would never fall into place, and at least cupcakes were something I could control. But there are definitely times when I have wanted to scrap this project for the sake of other things. However, I find that, even though I now have a pretty good idea of what I will be doing with my life, I still get stressed out, and I still need to bake.

I also didn't count on the fact that when I started making recipes that deviated from a standard Martha recipe (all-purpose flour, butter, eggs, etc.) that I would have trouble.

One of my favorite lines from the movie Julie and Julia is when Julie Powell (Amy Adams) says, "You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure, and when I say nothing, I mean, NOTHING, that you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. It's such a comfort." That was one of my favorite things about the cupcake project. I learned that there are rules in cooking, and that if you follow them, you can be assured how your food will turn out. It's the only place in my life where this happens.

That said, I had some trouble with these. I am still learning about what happens when you use oil instead of butter (the cupcakes bake flatter and overflow the liners), and this recipe used coconut oil, which I was completely unfamiliar with. Martha calls it creamed coconut (different from cream of coconut), and it is sold in health food stores in glass jars, usually in the refrigerator section. It can be used as a substitute for butter, but it does not bake up like butter.

I would have to say that I like the concept of this recipe, but I was not pleased with the execution.

Coconut-Pecan Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache

1 c. firmly packed shredded sweetened coconut

3/4 c. pecans (about 3 oz.) toasted, and cooled

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. salt

1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature

1/4 c. coconut oil, room temperature

1 Tbsp. coconut extract

4 large eggs, room temperature

1 c. plus 2 Tbsp. (9 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk


2 c. unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted

Preheat oven to 350F. Line standard muffin tins with papers. In a food processor, finely grind shredded coconut; transfer to a bowl. Process pecans with 2 Tbsp. sugar until finely ground. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in ground coconut and pecans.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter, creamed coconut, and remaining sugar until pale and fluffy. Add extract and then eggs one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of coconut milk, and beating until just combined after each.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden, about 20 to 22 minutes.

To finish, dip tops of cupcakes in chocolate glaze, then turn over quickly and garnish with toasted coconut.

2 comments:

  1. I like your movie quote. I think one of the unseen benefits of your goal is that it has blessed others. Seriously! Who doesn't like to be given a tasty treat? You have been able to share your gift with others...and we have loved you for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--there is nothing better than being treated to a tasty cupcake (especially one you've never tried before) after 2, or 3, or 4 hours of church. But that's not the only reason we love you! How many do you have left now?

    ReplyDelete