Monday, May 3, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Oatmeal Nut Pie

This is my first pie from the "Cereal Pies" section of the book. It literally is a bunch of recipes for pies made of cereal, like cornflakes, Rice Krispies, grits, rice, Grapenuts...this seemed like a weird idea to me, but my husband was really excited about it.
This oatmeal nut required a little bit of substituting because I didn't plan ahead, and it was Sunday, and I didn't quite have all the ingredients. Instead of one teaspoon of maple flavored extract, I used a tablespoon of pure maple syrup. I also didn't have dark corn syrup and just used light corn syrup.
It ended up being much like a pecan pie, except with oatmeal and coconut in addition to the pecans. And, much like the pecan pie I made earlier, it was quite runny. Although this time, I think I can probably blame the fact that I might not have baked it long enough (as opposed to how I always blame the elevation) because the outer edges were set quite well but the middle was not.
Also, my past two crusts haven't been quite as good, and I just put it together that this is also my fault: I've been lazy and haven't been stocking up on heavy cream, so I've just been using 2% milk to bind the crust together instead of the cream. Apparently, that detail matters. So, my new words of advice are Always, Always, go for the cream.

Ratings:

Flavor: 7

Execution: 7-Soupiness wasn't great, though that might be chef error. It was a tasty pie, but I'm not really wowed. I fear I'm getting tired of the recipes in the book. But I'm not giving up!

Difficulty: Easy.

Overall rating: *** 3 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I hate that I can't just substitute fatty things for less fatty things so I don't have to buy ingredients I don't use very often, or make a special trip to the store. I am continually surprised at what a difference using the "real thing" can make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the upside, cereal pies count as a healthy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Fiber One Original in your pie crusts? Check out Hungry Girl's recipes for delicious high-fiber coconut cream pie - http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=2159

    ReplyDelete