Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Gelato-topped Mini Cupcakes


Do you know how hard it is to find gelato in Lubbock?

Actually, it's not that hard. I found it at the second store I went to.

However, by buying it at the grocery store, I was pretty much limited to one flavor: pistaschio. It's okay; I like pistaschio, but I'm not sure it is universally enjoyed.
I'm also not sure what the point of this recipe is. I like gelato, but I'm not sure what about these cupcakes makes them suited to gelato. As far as I can tell, they are just a basic yellow cake recipe served in a nut cup.
Also, gelato presents some logisitcal problems. Namely, it does not travel well. Also, you cannot scoop it in advance and have it there, ready to eat.
For these reasons, it was harder to distribute these cupcakes in their natural form. After they were enjoyed by the people I made them for on Wednesday, I froze them. On Saturday, I made up some fluffy vanilla frosting, piped it on the remaining cakes, covered them with a few sprinkles, and took them with me to the temple, where they were eaten quickly by the other workers, some of whom later confessed to me that they'd had several. I was glad. It was a nice way to pay back the wonderful people I work with there, many of who try to set me up with men and/or give me their hand-me-down clothes. True story.
Here's a link to the recipe. As you can see, it is just a buttermilk-vanilla cupcake. You can top it with gelato, ice cream, or regular frosting, and people seem to enjoy it any of these ways.

2 comments:

  1. O, Gelato! *falls down on knees* Is it the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The company that makes it is called Ciao Bella. Other than that, it doesn't seem all that different from regular ice cream.

    ReplyDelete