Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Yoganista: Day 7 - They have a fight, triangle wins.....

The side angle poses we did today had me begging (out loud) to go back to lunges. There was lots of heavy breathing and sweating going on in this class as well. We worked on more fluid movement between downward facing dog, lunge, warrior, and side angle poses. I realized that I hadn't been pushing myself hard enough and could actually take the lunges down deeper (which made the side angle pose a bit easier to hold). I came away from it feeling good, albeit a bit wobbly.At the beginning of class, one of the other women called me out on always taking the same space each class (left, front row near the wall). As much as taking a yoga class solo was my way to step outside of the box, I admit I quickly sought out some comfort from seeking out the same spot. There were lots of unknowns week to week (e.g. what poses we would do, how strenuous said poses would be, and who if anyone would be breaking the fart barrier). As a therapist, I fully embrace and acknowledge the power of change, in my personal life? Not so much. :]

The major take home for me today was our teacher explaining to us the meaning of "purna" which roughly translates to perfection coming through the act of trying one's best. Yoginis are deep and ripped!

The minor take home for me was that I like the smell of dude, but not smelling like a dude. You see, I had run out of deodrant that morning and had to bust into my 72 hour kit and scrounge for the free Speed Stick that Southwest provided me when they sent my luggage to Reno and me to San Francisco. If you want to find me in an emergency, head towards the manly scent.


SBD:0
L&P:0

2 comments:

  1. My favorite parts of this post: a) the They Might Be Giants Reference, b) how many cool insights you are gaining about life from this experience. Following your experience is like watching the end of Doogie Howser, when he writes in his journal and gives us a moral for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can post! It's a miracle! I thought that you having to use a Speed Stick (for a man) from your 72-hour kit was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete