Monday, March 8, 2010

Shape Shifter: Happy Trails

This last week I enlisted a friend to train for a 5K with me. After reading a few other blogs where people were working with a teammate, I thought that it could help me to stay more motivated and be more fun in the process. So, last week we investigated two trails that we liked, that were safe in the evening, and walked two miles on three occasions.
(Wishing our trails were this scenic!)

Today was our first official running night. We are starting a running program off of Runner's World. We ran one minute and walked two minutes, repeating 10 X's. Our pace was steady and even. We completed two miles. Can I say that running + wind + cold = no choice but to wipe your nose on your sweater. It was a little nippy out tonight while running, and I don't think I felt too much because I was a little frozen. Now that I have thawed out I can feel 'it' and I love it. For some reason when I work out, if I am not sore or feeling 'it', I don't think that it was a good workout.


Also, I don't want to have an inappropriate rant about sports bras---but you just can't win. If you can breath while wearing it, there isn't enough support. If there is enough support, you practically turn blue from oxygen deprivation or feel that your rib cage is going to collapse.

Regardless, it feels great to be working towards a running goal. I have a Quote Book for Runners and found one I really liked that seemed to fit at this stage:

"Running is the classical road to self-consciousness, self-awareness and self-reliance. Independence is the outstanding characteristic of the runner. He learns the harsh reality of his physical and mental limitations when he runs. He learns that personal commitment, sacrifice and determination are his only means to betterment. Runners only get promoted through self-conquest." ---Noel Carroll

3 comments:

  1. I agree that running with a partner is the way to go. Where do you guys go to run?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the name of the walking park on 19th, but we have gone there. We are frequenting the track around the rec center at Tech more because we like that it is a mile once around and it is well lit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree!!! If it wasn't for the sheer guilt I feel that she might be sitting there waiting for me at 5:00 AM I wouldn't be dragging myself out of bed at that crazy hour!

    ReplyDelete