Saturday, March 6, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Brown Sugar Pound Cake Cupcakes

February is a crazy time for me at school. In the five years of my graduate student career, every February has been marked by interviews for both faculty and students. This week was particularly crazy because, in addition to school and work, I also helped out a lot with doctoral interviews, and hosted two interviewees for two days, which meant I had to clean my apartment for the first time since the last time I had people stay with me for interviews.

My crazy week began with my first-ever opportunity to supervise a practicum. For those of you who are not therapists, practicum is one night a week in which student-therapists see clients with their supervisors and classmates watching them. They get feedback from the people watching, which, in theory, helps them to become better therapists. As a Ph.D. student, I am learning how to supervise other students, and with that comes the responsibility for supervising two practicums over the semester.

Because I wanted the supervisees (first-year masters' students) to like me, I made cupcakes. I'm sure, at some point in my development as a supervisor, I will get past this. Because I was so frazzled and tired by the time it was over, I forgot to take pictures of them.

However, this recipe has joined the ranks of requested baked goods, like mint brownies and red-velvet cookies. It's pretty darn good. And really really bad for you. Enjoy.

Brown-Sugar Pound Cakes
Makes 28

3 c. sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 c. packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 c. buttermilk

Preheat oven to 325. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

With an electric mixer on medium high speed, cream butter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk and beating until combined after each.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups. Bake about 25 minutes.

To finish, spoon brown-butter icing over tops.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure that they were tasty. They would have liked you, even without the cupcakes...you're Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound super yummy. I want to make them. I need to think of an excuse to make them. That would probably be easier if I had more friends.
    I'm sure you're a great, likable supervisor. Have I ever told you about my current supervisor? If I ask him a question, he will go over to his bookcase and read a few paragraphs of whatever some book said to do in a marginally related situation. Then we'll read some of the code of ethics.
    Just don't do that.

    ReplyDelete