Monday, March 15, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Old-fashioned Apple Meringue Pie

I had grand plans for Pi Day. I'd never celebrated it before, but here I was, making pies every other week, and Pi Day even landed on my week! But we had to leave town for a funeral all weekend, so I had to improvise a bit.
There were only a couple of recipes that I could do, seeing as it was Sunday evening when we got home, and I only had certain ingredients. So I went with the Apple Meringue.
First, you bake in the apple filling:

Top it with meringue:

Bake again:

Slice, eat, enjoy:

I think the forces of Pi were smiling down on me, for this was a truly delicious pie. The idea of meringue on an apple pie struck me as kind of weird, as I'm sure it did you, but it was a nice combination. I was a little wary of the meringue because a lot of homemade meringue pies are soggy and runny (and gross), but I think this meringue was quite nice. The buttery crust coupled with butter in the filling made it yummy. PLUS, I hate when recipes call for just yolks or just whites, but this was the perfect pie because the filling called for 3 yolks, and the meringue called for 3 whites! It rounded things out perfectly. Just like Pi.

Ratings:
Flavor: 9-Really delicious. But I'm hesitant to hand out the perfect 10. But maybe I'm setting an impossible standard. This was a really yummy pie.
Execution: 9-If there were no topping, it would have been ugly, but the meringue gave it a nice, tasteful wig.
Difficulty: Easy
Overall rating: ***** 5 out of 5 stars. I'd make this again for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a meringue person, but this looks really good. And I love that you had pie on pi day. This is the first time in three years that I have not had pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat a pie with "a nice, tasteful wig" any day.

    ReplyDelete