Monday, March 29, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Joyce Carol's Black and Blue Pie





I had decided early on that I wouldn't make any berry pies until berry season, just to be green and all (and save some money). But then a local grocery story had a huge sale on berries, so I went back on my decision. But I regret nothing.
This was not only my first berry pie, but it was also my first double crust pie. I don't think I've ever made a full-fledged double crust pie. I did a lattice once, but that's all. It was definitely a little more time consuming, but nice.
I really like Marie Callendar's frozen Razzleberry pie, so I wanted this to be comparable in yumminess. And it was. You just mix blackberries and blueberries with some flour and sugar, add some spices and a little vanilla, and pour it into the shell. Then you sprinkle with lemon juice and top with little bits of butter. Butter really does make everything better. Except perhaps my cholesterol, but as terrible as it sounds, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Add the top crust, seal and crimp.

Give the edges a little foil shield so it doesn't burn.

Bake.

As my husband and I sat around enjoying this delicious pie, I marveled at the remarkably flaky crust. I really feel like I have developed some decent pie skills. I no longer have to feel ashamed, and I truly look forward to making the pies now. It is a good feeling.

Ratings:

Flavor: 9-So delicious. Yay for unseasnably cheap berries!

Execution: 9-I was pretty proud of how this one turned out. Even the next day, the crust was still flaky and yummy.

Difficulty: Easy. Filling is really easy, but the double crust might induce rolling fatigue.

Overall rating: ***** 5 out of 5 stars, though I think I'd rename the pie if I were to give it to other people. "Black and Blue", while apt, conjures images of beatings and bruises. But maybe I've just been working with domestic violence offenders too long.

3 comments:

  1. That looks sooo good! I know I say that about every pie you bake, but this one looks particularly good. I am impressed that your filling stays where it belongs after you cut slices out. That's a good pie (says someone who does not bake pies, but has a discriminating eye nonetheless).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to take dessert to someone's house last night so I looked this recipe up and made it. It was fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take a beating for this pie.
    And for you.

    ReplyDelete