Monday, March 22, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Black Forest Cupcakes



Part of my success with the cupcake project lies in the fact that, when I go out of town, I try to make at least one cupcake recipe. It really only works if I am staying with someone and have access to their kitchen.

Last week was spring break, and I had the opportunity to visit Kit in Chicago. Kit and I were roommates at BYU for a couple of years. Then she went to Chicago to get her master's degree, and I moved to Texas. I told her about the cupcake project and asked her to pick a recipe for us to make. She picked this recipe, which, I have to say, was an excellent choice.

I neglected to take pictures of us baking the cupcakes, so here is a picture of me and Kit. We are arranged shortest to tallest. Kit is the tallest.

This recipe is slightly complicated, which is why I am just posting the link. It is a chocolate cupcake filled with pastry cream and maraschino cherries, and topped with chocolate ganache glaze. You will note, however, that mine and Kit's look remarkably similar to Martha's. One suggestion I would have would be that if you use Mexican vanilla extract, don't use as much as Martha suggests. I forgot how strong it is, and I think I would have decreased the amount I used, were I to do it over again. Make this recipe and the people around you will be so impressed. It has most of the same components as Boston creme pie cupcakes, so if you want to put in a little extra effort, you could make both recipes at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment