Monday, March 8, 2010

Mother Bird: S'more Fondue, Please!


The nice thing about contributing to a group blog is that your absence (read: laziness) is less conspicuous. I may have only posted about a couple of new recipe attempts but rest assured, I've made at least one for every week since we started this. So I guess my real problem is blogging. Sometimes I just don't feel like it.

But this recipe was too good not to share. I come from a family of big fondue fans. Between my parents, my siblings and myself, I think we own at least six fondue pots, so I'm always on the lookout for good fondue recipes. But this weekend I tried "Chocolate S'mores Fondue" from Dessert Fondues by Sandra Rudloff and I honestly can't see any reason to keep looking for dessert fondues, this one was that good.

I like chocolate fondues okay, but usually by the time I've had all of the cheese/meat fondue I can eat, the straight chocolate pot is a bit more than I can handle. But the s'mores fondue was just light enough that I was able to eat waaaay more than I should have but still chocolaty enough to give anyone a decent fix. And it wasn't all drippy like chocolate fondue can be. It was like... well, a s'more, but without all the mess I usually make when I eat them. Graham crackers are the obvious dipper if you want a truly s'more-like experience, but don't underestimate the power of the banana here, folks. That's a dipper that I don't usually care that much about, but the combo of the bananas, milk chocolate, and marshmallow was heavenly. We also dipped strawberries, wafer cookies, and macaroons and they all went really well with this recipe. Oh yeah, the recipe...

Chocolate S'mores Fondue

In a saucepan or fondue pot, heat 1/3 cup half-and-half over low heat until very warm. Add a 7-ounce jar of marshmallow creme and stir constantly over low heat until smooth. Add 6 ounces of chopped milk chocolate (I used milk chocolate chips) and stir until melted and well mixed. Do not boil. Keep over low heat when serving.

It's that easy... at least, until you get on the scale the next day and wish you were one of those people who are doing P90X.

*Side note: If anyone is looking for a good dessert fondue book, I would recommend this one. It's inexpensive and has a great variety of recipes for fondues and dippers. And many of the recipes are non-alcoholic for anyone who is looking for some great, family-friendly recipes to try.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, this looks way too yummy. I may have to break out our fondue pot (that we've only used once in the last 3 years) for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's Strongbad's fondue pot! That recipe looks really good. It makes me think I need to have a fondue party since I officially own two of our family's fondue pots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I can't believe the Okas own so many fondue pots. We have one, and I'm pretty sure my family thought we were really weird. Of course, they have no idea what they're missing.
    I have a similar recipe that is super yummy, too.
    1 t. butter
    1 c. mini marshmallows
    1/3 c. whipping cream
    6 oz. chocolate bar with almonds (it's fine to use the no nut version too)
    2 T. milk

    Break candy into pieces. Rub wall of crockpot with butter. Place candy, marshmallows and milk in crockpot. Cover and stir every 15 minutes until melted and smooth. Gradually add cream. Continue to heat 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including that recipe, Ami. This is what I always had envisioned for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, Megan you have two? Make that seven. Thanks for the recipe, Ami. It looks like one of those that's so good I'm going to wish I had never known about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad I stumbled upon this Blog. I'm always looking for new recipes. Melanee, I'm glad you shared your fondue with me.

    ReplyDelete