Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Yoganista: Day 5 - Lunging with Darth Vader

Today we learned a new breathing technique commonly known as Darth Vader breath (aka Pranayama). Basically, you breath in and out through your nose very loudly which is reminiscent of being at the ocean. Breathing through your nose is all fine and good when you are sitting in your “comfortable seat”, but it gets a lot harder when you are working on proper lunge position.

We spent a lot of time lunging today. Like a lot of time, a lot a lot. Everything in yoga builds onto each other. Proper downward facing dog helps with lunges which are the basis for other poses like warrior. Again, I was amazed at all the muscle groups involved in holding the proper lunge. It felt good the first couple of times then I started getting pooped. My legs felt like jell-o leaving class and I worried that the next day would be a killer, but luckily it wasn’t. I’m a bit wary of what tomorrow in class might bring though.

As far as improvements, I think that the meditation part of yoga is helpful and I feel energized on the days that I do it. The vain part of me also noticed a bit more definition in my calf muscles while prancing about in my heels on Sunday. Now, if only the boys would notice.

SBD: 0 L&P:0

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say something profound about how effective deep breathing can be, but really I think I've only consciously thought of how I was breathing maybe three times in my life so I guess that would just be a load of bull coming from me. Guess that's something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that the subject of this post was deep breathing, it is probably better that the flatulation count is still 0.

    ReplyDelete