Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Soupa' Slow: Boeuf Bourguignon

As I was browsing crockpot.com in search of recipes, I came across this one, and in the spirit of cooking and blogging, just had to make it. I easily found most of the ingredients at my local supermarket, but ran into a little problem when I got to the "red wine" on the list. I know that the alcohol cooks out of wine when used in recipes like this, and I've had plenty of dishes made with wine at restaurants, but the thought of purchasing wine myself created a bit of a moral dilemma for this mormon girl. To make matters worse, grocery stores don't sell any kind of alcohol in Maryland, so if I was going to do this, I had to actually go to the liquor store. In the end I did it. I did get cooking wine and it did come in a little cardboard carton that looked nothing like a bottle of wine, which made me feel slightly better, but I didn't relish the experience, and I don't know if I'll be cooking with wine in the future. Then, to add injury to insult, when I bought the wine at the liquor store, I didn't get carded!! I guess I don't look as young as I feel like I do. Not that I think I look twenty, but aren't they supposed to card you if there is any doubt whatsoever? I wanted to ask the cashier if he was trying to say I looked old, but refrained.

At any rate, the "boeuf borguignon" turned out delicious. And using the slow cooker pretty much eliminates the risk of falling asleep and burning the stew. Here are a few pics of the process...

3 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I have the same struggles with using alcohol in my cooking, particularly because I would never want to run into one of my clients in a liquor store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, seriously. I went to a store kind of far away from my house just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I'm totally going to try it. I hate the wine dilemma, too. So many good recipes call for it!

    ReplyDelete