Monday, February 1, 2010

Soupa' Slow's Texas inspired Brisket

We spent New Years in Austin with Jon's family, and New Years Eve day at The (original) Salt Lick (amazing bbq...check out their indoor pit!)

It was so good that I decided to attempt to re-create the brisket. Actually, I just decided to try to cook brisket, period. (I have never done anything like this before...or that's what I thought before I made it...turns out the process I followed was extremely similar to regular old pot roast. The results, however, were slightly more exciting than pot roast.)

The good old Red Checker Cook Book has this recipe for brisket, and I adapted it to a slow cooker. Basically just by putting it in my slow cooker, instead of my oven.

Oven-Barbecued Beef Brisket (p. 340)
Prep: 15 minutes
Roast: 3 hours (I did 6.5 hours on low in my slow cooker)
Oven:325 f
Makes: 10-12 servings

1 3- to 3.5-pound fresh beef brisket (I used corned beef brisket, because I couldn't find fresh, which is why it looks red...it was still delicious)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar or white wine vinegar (I used regular distilled vinegar)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules (I used two cubes chicken bouillon)
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used red pepper flakes)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups bottled bbq sauce (I used Kraft BBQ Sauce with brown sugar...yum!)

1. Trim fat from meat. Place meat in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. (I just plopped it in my slow cooker...still half frozen, too...I can't seem to get this defrosting thing right! But the slow cooker doesn't mind!) In a small bowl, stir together water, onion, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili powder, bouillon, red pepper, and garlic. Pour over meat. Cover with foil (I covered with the slow cooker lid instead) Bake in a 325 f oven about 3 hours, or until tender (Again, I cooked it 6.5 hours on low in my slow cooker). Remove meat; discard juices. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Place on a serving platter. Serve with barbecue sauce.

I give this one a 9.5! Delicious!!

It was YUMMY! If you are a meat-lover, or just feel like some Texas BBQ, I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really good. It makes me want Texas barbecue, so, it's a good thing I live in Texas, since the chances of me cooking an entire brisket are slim. Also, I am very jealous that you guys went to the Salt Lick. It's supposed to be the best Texas barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... that sounds so good! I'm totally going to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete