Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yoganista: And on the 4th day, they sweat.

This morning was an exceptionally cold and rainy one and they had the heater up to make up for that. This was also the first day that we started to do lunges. Heat + core work + lunges = sweat.

What I'm coming to be amazed with in yoga is how many muscle groups we have that we don't utilize. A great thing about this class is that it isn't just about mimicking the poses, but the teacher walks us through and helps us isolate the individual muscle groups that we need to engage to get the full benefits of each pose.

So far, my favorite move is the cat/cow where you start out in a table pose and then on the inhale arch your back like a cat and then on the exhale you stick up your butt and head like a mooing cow. It feels really good. You should try it. You might also like to try a little game that my friends Mike and Amanda play called cow/kitty. One person calls out one of these animals and the other person has to mimic that sound. They get going pretty quick and it makes me giggle a little.

SBD: 0 L&P:0
Apparently, my friend L is right (though he'll never hear it from my lips) that women photosynthesize their waste, as I have yet to hear a peep out of any of these ladies!

1 comment:

  1. I'm incredibly disappointed at the lack of farting going on in your yoga class, and not just because it makes it appear like Layne is right about something.

    ReplyDelete