Friday, February 12, 2010

Soupa' Slow: Es-spicy Meat-a-balls

Okay, so they weren't actually that spicy, but I made my first ever meatballs! Yum! This is one of those fun recipes where you try to get people to guess the secret ingredient, and they never can. :) Okay, try to guess...nope, that's not it...not that either! Oh fine, I'll tell you...grape jelly! Weird, huh? But super good. So here's how you do it...take your favorite meatloaf recipe and instead of making a loaf, form the meat mixture into balls (OR you can use frozen meatballs from the store). Brown the outsides quickly, and transfer them to the slow cooker. Here comes the fun part. Add a small jar of grape jelly and a bottle of a. ketchup b. chili sauce or c. some of each. I happened to have half a bottle of chili sauce and half a bottle of ketchup in the fridge so I went for option c. I imagine that the more chili sauce you use, the spicier it would turn out. Anyway, just dump those in, stir, and let it cook for a couple hours. Turned out GREAT and was SOOO easy. Would have been SOOOOO, SOOOOO easy if I had gone the frozen meatball route.




2 comments:

  1. Wow. I have always been very intimidated by meatballs or meatloaf or anything where you have to mix bread crumbs in meat, but these look like they might actually be within my grasp. Also, your mashed potatoes look SO GOOD. Do you have a recipe for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is actually my dad's "hot potato salad"...he cooked the potatoes, added chopped boiled eggs, mayonnaise,lemon juice, a bit of vinegar (he explained that the potatoes need a lot of acid to balance them out...and I think he was right...you couldn't taste the lemon or vinegar, but it tasted just right), and some dill. They were super good, but not your traditional mashed potatoes. I usually just make mine with potatoes, butter, a bit of sour cream and some salt and pepper. If I'm in the mood, I throw in some shredded cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete