Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mother Bird: The Best Pot Roast I've Ever Made

Don't let that title fool you; it really doesn't say much about this recipe. In the time that I've been married, I've made countless attempts at cooking a good roast, most of them in the crock pot. They always look like they're going to be good--moist, flavorful, tender--but I've always felt like all of the juices seem to just seem to run out into the cooking liquid so that when it's not totally immersed, it seems a little dry. So when I came across the Pioneer Woman's pot roast, I thought I'd give her method a try and see if it yielded better results. I followed her directions pretty closely, except that I don't have fresh herbs in the winter, so I used dried. It was delicious! She recommends that you serve it with the pan juices poured over individual servings, which makes it more moist and flavorful, but I felt like even without the pan juices, it was still juicier than other roasts I've made. I served it with Ree's mashed potatoes which are the only mashed potatoes I make now, although I do cut out some of the fat and leave them unpeeled for a more rustic texture. They're still awesome.

So there you have it. If you want a good pot roast method/recipe, this is the one that's going into our regular rotation. Two thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks really good. You use regular carrots for your pot roast?

    ReplyDelete