Saturday, April 17, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Blackberry Cornmeal Cupcakes


I made this recipe at the same time I made the flourless chocolate cupcakes.

Both are perfect with ice cream.

I recommend vanilla-bean.

I'm really starting to get into vanilla beans.

They go on the list of things only Martha thinks are necessities, like Dutch-process cocoa, Meyer lemons, and unsweetened coconut.

These toe the line between cupcake and muffin. However, they are almost like a cobbler, which is why I recommend the ice cream. And they are pretty easy to make. And I got many compliments on them from the Relief Society sisters.

Blackberry Cornmeal Cupcakes
Makes 16
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. fine-ground yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
7 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 to 2 containers (6 oz) fresh blackberries (I used 2 containers, but I probably could have gotten by with one).

Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin tins. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar (you will use the rest later).

In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter; pour over flour mixture, whisking to combine.

Fill each lined cup with a scant 1/4 c. batter (this is important. I filled mine too full and it overflowed a little). Top batter with blackberries (3 to 4 per cup), then sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool before removing from pan. They are best served warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment