Tuesday, June 29, 2010

French Silk Pie


This was a delicious pie. I just found the recipe online, since I invited some family over who is quite picky but loves chocolate.
I did encounter a problem, though. This is my first pie that required a prebaked crust. I didn't have pie weights or even some beans to prevent crust bubbling, so I just pierced it well. So, the bottom of the crust didn't bubble up, but the sides kind of crumpled, leading to unpretty pie.

Obviously, it didn't affect the flavor, but I'm trying to go for tasty and pretty here. And I really don't know what to do about it. Even if I had official pie weights, they wouldn't counteract the forces of gravity. I'm going to have to do some research.
Ratings:

Flavor: 10

Execution: 7-the filling was great, but the aforementioned cascading of pie sides disappointed me.

Difficulty: Moderate

Overall rating: ***** 5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. That looks beautiful, fallen crust and all. Yesterday, I was at a little bakery/cafe place and had a piece of apple sour cream pie. I was surprised that it was a warm pie. Have you dabbled in sour cream pies? I am very curious about them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs to see a fluted edge on a french silk pie anyway? I've only ever seen one pie crust edge with any utility, and that was when my cousin Emily's mother forced her to substitute shortening with olive oil in my mom's delicious apple pie recipe on account of someone's cholesterol. Note: if you have a choice between a delicious, flaky pie crust made with hydrogenated vegetable oil and a mouth bomb that will extend your life a few more tasteless heartbeats, always choose the flaky pie crust.
    When it was all finished, you could pick up your piece of pie by the fluted edge, but you could not eat it. It was useful as a warning, or possibly a weapon, but not as food.

    ReplyDelete