Sunday, June 27, 2010

Camp Cupcake: Cherry-Almond Teacakes



It's been awhile.

I have discovered that, with finishing the dissertation, packing up, prepping classes, and trying to find a place in Utah, the thing I struggle with is not the baking. Rather, it is taking pictures of what I have baked.

There are no pictures of the honey bee cupcakes (they were bad), the iced pistachio cupcakes, the pistachio raspberry cupcakes, or the date-nut mini cupcakes. I am divided about whether or not to even do a post about any of these.

But these tiny teacakes I thought were worthy of a post because they were a big hit, and because they were a little unusual.

As you can see by the picture, Martha recommended baking a whole cherry in each one, with the stem left on and sticking out of the batter. In fact, if Martha had her way, I would have left the pits inside the cherries and just warned people that they were there. I thought that was a bad idea. Sometimes I just leave cupcakes places and don't have the opportunity to give people instructions about how to eat them. Some of the people I give them to have prosthodontics. So, I bought this guy:

I'm sure more dignified cherry pitters exist, but every time I look at this one, I smile. You put the cherry in his mouth, push down on his head, and the pit shoots down into his leg area. I can't even describe it without giggling. But it worked.


No comments:

Post a Comment