Monday, June 14, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Key Lime Pie


This was a departure from the Sweety Pies book; I saw a different book at the library and checked it out. It is Bubby's Homemade Pies. It has endorsements by Billy Crystal and Jon Stewart. You might think that such facts would indicate some exciting, unique pie, but you'd be wrong. I still tend to choose a recipe based on what ingredients I already have on hand. That is kind of boring. But I did happen to have some key limes, so we went with it.
I was in a hurry to get it chilled and cut before my brother left, so it didn't have the perfectly set texture to it. But it was delicious. I added the cream, blueberries, and leaves for effect.
This is the first pie in my series that called for a graham cracker crust. You'd think that a graham cracker crust would be way easier than a pastry crust. I think there's probably a smaller margin of error, but it still takes some skill, I think. Getting it all pressed into the pie plate at a uniform thickness is difficult. For me, anyway. The recipe book recommends making your own graham crackers instead of using store-bought ones. Apparently, they're way better. I didn't do this for two reasons: 1) I had limited time. 2) It seems ridiculous to gather ingredients and bake them simply to crush them into a fine powder as soon as they're ready.
So a little tip for those of you using graham cracker crusts someday: bake it (empty) for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. It makes it a little crispy and prevents sogginess, even the next day. It's way better.

Ratings:

Flavor: 9

Execution: 9-The picture doesn't look great, but I took it before it had totally cooled and set. Today, the texture was perfect.

Difficulty: Moderately difficult

Overall rating: **** 4 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. This pie was so good I even ate the rose leaf garnish.
    They taste like rose petals. I would eat them if I were lost in the woods. Or the Hunger Games. My favorite hunger game is trying not to eat the leftover pie before dinner is ready (I was helping). Now you would think that succumbing to the temptation might possibly be perceived as flattering to the maker of the pie, but it isn't. It's just another chubby guy eating pie out of the fridge with his fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so incredibly impressed that you made your own graham crackers. This pie is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete