Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Miss Oleda Halliburton's Easy Pear Pie on a Baking Sheet


This has been the biggest disappointment along my pie making journey.
I have been excited about this pie for a long time, partly because pear pie sounds delicious, but mostly because the crust wouldn't require cutting and transferring and shaping. You just roll it out, plop on the filling, fold it up, and you're good to go.
Or so I thought.
It goes without saying that the picture in the book looked nothing like my final product here. I think my filling was somehow a lot more watery. And then all the leakage. Look at all the leakage! It just looks terrible.
But I still didn't despair. Even if it looks awful, it will still taste great, right?
Not really. It didn't taste bad; cinnamon, sugar, and pears can't taste bad really. But it wasn't that great. It was pretty much a mediocre apple pie with a slight peariness.
Bleh.

Ratings:

Flavor: 6

Execution: 4. Man, it was ugly.

Difficulty: Easy. But it turns out that pies are made in cup-shaped pans for a reason.

Overall rating: ** 2 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer. I've tried several new recipes lately that I haven't liked, but since I rarely take the time to blog about the ones I do like, I don't even bother with the bad ones. But I'm glad you blogged about this. Now I will never trust anyone named Oleda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad this one didn't taste better. My favorite part was the unintentional pear candy created by the filling that leaked out of the crust and caramelized on the baking sheet. Couldn't get enough of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, it's not like I'm good at baking at all..I hardly ever bake.
    But I loved "Execution: 4. Man, it was ugly."

    ReplyDelete