Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Chicken Pot Pie


Here's to my first savory pie: chicken pot pie!
Now that the weather's cooling off and feeling all autumnal, I thought pie would nice for dinner.
I must say, it was delicious. I paired it with cranberry sauce, and they complemented each other well. (Usually "pairing" something reminds me of wines that are supposed to complement some fancy dinner, so I am amusing myself by using that wording with something as pedestrian as canned cranberry sauce).

I actually did a double pie crust, but it was so much extra work, and you don't even notice the bottom crust, so I am recommending just putting crust on top.

Further, if you're just feeling lazy but want chicken pot pie-ness, you can make the filling and then serve it over toast. That is good, too.
Here's a shot of me making the pie:

Ratings:

Flavor: 8

Execution: 7. I wasn't very thorough about the egg wash=ugly top

Difficulty: Pretty simple. You'll want to work fast once you get the crust on top because the heat of the filling starts soggifying the crust pretty quickly.

Overall rating: **** 4 out of 5 stars.

The filling is my dad's recipe, so I'm happy to share it with the universe:

Chicken Pot Pie:

1 pie crust, prepared

3 c chicken broth
1 chicken breast, cubed
1/4 c frozen peas
1/4 c chopped carrots
1/4 c frozen corn
1/4 c chopped onion
1 stick butter
3/4 c flour
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil chicken, peas, carrots, and corn in broth until cooked.
2. In large pot, sauté onion in butter until translucent. Add flour; stir until combined.
3. Add broth mixture to onions and heat until thick; season with salt and pepper. Pour thickened mixture into deep dish pie plate. Cover with pie crust; fold edges under and crimp. Brush with egg wash, if desired.
4. Bake at 425º for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.

Pie crust:

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup shortening, chilled
3–4 Tbsp. cold milk


1. In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, large fork, or the tips of your fingers, cut in or pinch or squeeze the shortening until mixture resembles crumbs the size of peas. Tossing the mixture quickly and lightly with a fork, sprinkle in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together when lightly pressed. Gather dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for about 30 minutes.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 12-inch circle, rolling from the center to the edges and giving dough quarter-turns frequently. Place the 9-inch pie plate upside down on top of the rolled-out dough. Using a small knife, cut a circle around the plate, leaving a 1-inch border of dough around the plate.

2 comments:

  1. It is impossible for this not to be delicious. You have a deliciously creamy chicken and vegetable soup, plus a buttery, flaky crust. I could (and did) eat this, unheated, for breakfast. It gave me the strength of two men, one a flaccid mouth breather, and the other with rapidly hardening arteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I like about this post:

    1- Awesome photos. I clicked on the first one and almost had to wipe some drool off of my keyboard. I also like the one of you making the pie. Nice touch.

    2- The idea of making a pie with only a top crust. It makes me think of someone sitting at a table nicely dressed on top with no pants on underneath. I'm definitely going to try it. (I mean the crust thing, not the pants thing.)

    3- The word "soggifying." If it's not in the dictionary, it should be.

    ReplyDelete