Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Strawberry Lover's Pie


This was a departure from the Sweety Pies book. My sister was coming into town and asked for a chocolate pie. She rejected every chocolate pie in my book (there are actually only three), so I ventured elsewhere.
This pie was okay. I feel like it took too many steps for a mediocre product. And just so you know, that is NOT Hershey's syrup drizzled on the top. It is melted chocolate chips, on top of a raspberry jam glaze, which is on top of fresh strawberries, which are on top of a cream cheese/sour cream mixture, which is in a chocolate painted crust.
See what I mean by too many steps?
The pie was good, but not THAT good.

Ratings:

Flavor: 6

Execution: 8. The drizzling really wasn't pretty.

Difficulty: Easy, but it takes a while.

Overall rating: *** 3 out of 5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. All of these pies look delicious! I also just have to recommend a pie because it is one of the most delicious pies I've ever had. It's a Hawaiian pie which I hadn't had for a couple of years, but just made last weekend and it wasn't too hard. It's called Chocolate Haupia Pie. The Haupia is a coconut gelatin type thing. Here's a link to a good recipe. http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/hawaii_today/2009/8/5/chocolate_haupia_pie_recipe/2
    Ummm, hopefully that works - otherwise, just google chocolate haupia pie and the first link that comes up should be the right one (it references Ted's Bakery). Of course you don't have to make it...but if you want some serious deliciousness, I highly recommend it. I am not much of a pie maker, but after one success I think I'm going to start trying more recipes...starting with some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at it, it reminds me of chocolate strawberry oasis pie from Waitress. It makes me want some pie. And to watch Waitress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Megan's assessment. In fact, Ami tried to create strawberry oasis pie after we watched Waitress. Both of them were quite good.

    ReplyDelete