Friday, November 19, 2010

Pie Are Squared: Pink Lady Apple Pie

"My grandmother used to say, 'Men expect women to be particular. As women, we shouldn't disappoint them.'"
With that in mind, the Patty Pinner advised me ask for a higher standard and use Pink Lady apples for this pie. I am not enough of an apple connoisseur to identify if Pink Lady apple pie is any better--or any different--from regular apple pie. But it was good.

I used the flag method of fluting the pie, which I thought looked kind of silly when it was raw. Then I added some little maple leaf crust shapes, brushed it with milk, and sprinkled on some sugar in the raw.
Once it was baked, the flag crust looked less silly.

Ratings:

Flavor: 8

Execution: 9. I thought it turned out rather nicely.

Difficulty: Medium. Though I feel like I may not be a good judge of pie difficulty. I'm not a huge fan of rolling out the dough, but it's not really difficult, but I don't like to do it, so double crust pies are more of a pain...I'll let you decide.

Overall rating: **** 4 out of 5 stars.

This pie crust recipe always leaves a fair amount of leftovers; double crust doubles the leftover. I always refrigerate the leftovers for a few days, thinking I'll do something with it later. I never have.
This time, though, my husband decided to put an end to the wasting of pie crust in our household and made a savory pie for dinner.

It was meaty and spicy and good. Thanks, dear. He did a pretty good job, eh?

Also, need I remind you that the biggest pie making holiday of the year is approaching? Happy pie making/eating, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Why is Joel not a part of this blog? That is a gorgeous pie. Have you ever heard of cinnamon pie? I got the urge to try it.

    ReplyDelete